Infection Control for Cleaning and Housekeeping Staff
This course teaches students the skills and knowledge required to comply with infection control policies and procedures in a cleaning or housekeeping setting.
All procedures must be carried out in accordance with current infection control guidelines, Australian and New Zealand Standards for maintaining infection control and the policies and procedures of the organisation you are working for.
This course covers the importance of complying with an effective infection control strategy that ensures the safety of the client (or end-user of health-related products/services), maintains personal protection and prevents the transmission (spread) of infections from person to person.
The course has been developed in conjunction with Daniels Associates, a leading Registered Training Organisation in the Cleaning Industry.
This course is NOT accredited and does NOT lead to a unit of competency. The knowledge gained from this course can be used to support a recognition process for the accredited unit of competency, HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
For more information visit the Daniels Associates website www.danielsassociates.com.au.
To log in to an existing course click here.
In this course you will learn the following:
- Section 1 – Microbes and infections
- Section 2 – Infection control practices
- Section 3 – Maintain personal hygiene
- Section 4 – Limit Contamination
- Section 5 – Clean environmental surfaces
- Section 6 – Handle and dispose of clinical and other waste
- Section 7 – Maintain and store cleaning equipment
|Cost||$29.70 (incl. GST)|
|Unit code & name||Infection Control for Cleaning|
|Delivery||100% online, no classroom or assignments.|
|Time||3 minutes to enrol, 4-6 hours – self paced|
|Payment||Paypal or Mastercard/Visa through our Eway internet payment facility, internet bank transfer by POLI. Click here to read about POLI.|
How long? It takes 3 minutes to enrol and pay. The course takes 4-6 hours to complete depending on your existing knowledge. No need to finish the course in one session! Log in and out as many times as you like, the system remembers where you are up to.
How does it work? Click “Start Course Now” button, enter your details, and proceed to the payment page and pay. After payment, you are given immediate access to your “My Training”. Simply click on the name of the course when you are ready to start. No need to wait for an email with log in details.
The course is broken into sections. At the end of each section is an assessment. Please read “How will I be assessed” for more details on assessment.
Who should do this course? This course is for anyone working in the cleaning industry or looking for work in the cleaning industry.
How will I be assessed? The course is broken into sections. At the end of each section is an assessment. You are required to study each section in sequence and answer every question correctly to be deemed competent. You are required to answer ALL questions in ALL sections correctly to be deemed competent in this subject.
How assessment works:
- Read the question;
- Select your answer/s from the selection of answers given;
- Press “Submit”;
- Move onto the next question;
- At the end of the questions, you will receive the result of your assessment.
If you answer all questions correctly, you will progress to the next section. If you answer any questions incorrectly, you will be given feedback on which question you answered incorrectly. You will then be returned to the beginning of the learning materials for the section to review and attempt the assessment again. You can review the learning materials during the assessment.
How to Enrol
Step 1 – Enrol in and pay for this online course.
Step 2 – Complete the online course
Step 3 – Send a copy of your identification to:
You are required to verify your identity before we issue your certificate.
Your certificate emailed within 2 business days of receipt of your identification
Step 4 – Wait two (2) business days for your certificate to be emailed.
Section 1 – Microbes and infections
- 1.2 Introduction to microbes (germs)
- 1.3 How germs enter the body
- 1.4 Bacteria and viruses
- 1.5 Fungi and parasites
- 1.6 Some common infections
- 1.7 Norovirus
- 1.8 Staphylococcus Aureus – Golden Staph or MRSA
Section 2 – Infection control practices
- 2.1 What is an infection?
- 2.2 Signs of infection
- 2.3 Chain of infection
- 2.4 What is infection control?
- 2.5 Immunisation
- 2.6 Standard Precautions for infection control
- 2.7 Additional precautions
- 2.8 Respond to outbreaks
- 2.9 Remove spills in accordance with facility procedures
- 2.10 Exposure to blood or other body fluids
Section 3 – Maintain personal hygiene
- 3.1 Why is hand washing important?
- 3.2 Follow hand washing procedures
- 3.3 Implement hand care procedures
- 3.4 Cover cuts/abrasions with water-proof dressings
- 3.5 Personal protective equipment
Section 4 – Limit Contamination
- 4.1 Maintain clean zones (areas)
- 4.2 Maintain contaminated zones (areas)
- 4.3 Confine contaminated equipment to a contaminated zone
Section 5 – Clean environmental surfaces
- 5.1 General guidelines relating to cleaning activities
- 5.2 Colour coding
- 5.3 How poor cleaning procedures can spread germs and make people sick
- 5.4 Minimise contamination by aerosols and splatter
- 5.5 Remove all dust, dirt and physical debris from work surfaces
- 5.6 Clean ALL high contact (touch) surfaces and objects:
- 5.7 Practical cleaning procedures
- 5.8 Clean all work surfaces with a neutral detergent
- 5.9 Additional Cleaning (terminal cleaning and outbreaks)
Section 6 – Handle and dispose of clinical and other waste
- 6.1 What is waste?
- 6.2 Separate and dispose of waste
- 6.3 Clinical waste
- 6.4 Correct handling and disposal of sharps
- 6.5 Other types of healthcare waste
- 6.6 Store clinical or related waste in locked waste room
- 6.7 Store and transport waste appropriately
- 6.8 Dispose of waste according to legislative requirements
Section 7 – Maintain and store cleaning equipment
- 7.1 Cleaning and storing equipment
- 7.2 Dispose of used chemical solutions
- 7.3 Prepare for the next shift
Got any queries or questions?
Just call 02 4962 4435 or Email: email@example.com
This course is copyrighted by “The Daniels Associates of Australasia” who have provided online & in-house training since 2003. All training and assessment by “The Daniels Associates of Australasia” RTO # 30957.