BSCAA National Newsletter – October 2019
To download the full newsletter please click here: BSCAA National Newsletter October 2019
“The strength of the team is each member. The strength of each member is the team”. – Phil Jackson
The BSCAA National Board held their general meeting on 16th September in the AustralianSuper Boardroom in Melbourne. The Board were presented with an AustralianSuper update by Rose Kerlin, Group Executive, Membership. I am pleased to advise that AustralianSuper has been named the best performing super fund over the last 10 years and was one of few organisations to go before the commission without any issues. AustralianSuper is run only for members and don’t pay profits or dividends to shareholders, so the money goes back into the fund. Congratulations AustralianSuper on doing a great job!
The BSCAA continues to work with CAF in ensuring our members interests are represented for the furtherance of the industry, BSCAA speaks on behalf of all its members. BSCAA encourages any questions or feedback to be submitted to the National Head Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, we look forward to hearing from you.
Good teamwork creates synergy where the combined effect of the team is greater than that of individual efforts. The BSCAA National board is made up of a group of people from each state who volunteer their time and resources to work together to ensure the betterment of the industry through advocacy, education and information.
We are drawing closer to AustralianSuper Excellence Awards which are being held in a number of the states, don’t forget to submit your nominations and register to attend. These events are a great platform to acknowledge your amazing staff.
The ISSA convention will be held in Melbourne this month – 23 & 24 October. We look forward to meeting new faces and catching up with the familiar ones.
Please feel free to email me direct at email@example.com if you have any feedback or suggestions you would like to share. I am also available to call on 1800 312 970.
Congratulations in being part of the BSCAA.
Kim Puxty – BSCAA National President
Update from CRM Brokers
Public Liability circa 2000s revisited?
The answers to today’s problem may lie in the past.
Damien Coorey from CRM Brokers has written an interesting article regarding Public Liability insurance. Click here to read the article.
We Comply is a free service to BSCAA members and contains a full suite of Human Resources and Workplace Health and Safety Policies, Work Method Statements and Procedure templates. For more details visit https://bscaa.com/national/wecomply/
The following documents have recently been added to WeComply:
Forms / Checklists
Here are some helpful videos available on the Bizversity site.
- One Simple Change That Will Change Your Entire Life
- 7 Mindsets That Dramatically Boost Productivity
- How to Stand Out in the Crowd with Persuasive Storytelling
- 10 Ways to Increase Your Confidence When Networking
- How to Give Back and Make a Difference
- How to Use Gmail to Better Manage Your Business Email
Victoria – firstname.lastname@example.org
Victorian Division are pleased to welcome the following new members:
- Kilkenny Cleaning; and
- United Business Group Pty Ltd
- BSCAA Vic Australian Super Excellence Awards
The Victorian Division welcomes members as well as non-members to vote and we also invite all National Members who operate in Victoria to nominate their local staff for their great efforts. Criteria and nomination forms can be accessed via the following link Nominate Now. Nomination close 10th October, so don’t miss out. The Awards ceremony this year is being held on Friday, 15th November at the Hellenic Museum, Melbourne so join us in celebrating your staff, enjoying great food, music and our MC Ben Price, internationally renowned comedian and, without doubt, one of Australia’s finest impersonators.
- Labour Hire Licensing
A reminder that all Victorian labour hire businesses must apply for a license. From 30th October 2019 substantial penalties will apply to labour hire providers who do not have a licence or have a licence application pending and businesses that use unlicensed providers. For more information on how to apply for a licence, click on the link how to apply for a licence.
New South Wales – email@example.com
- BSCAA NSW will be hosting their annual AustralianSuper Excellence Awards on the evening of Friday 11 October 2019 at the Swissotel, Sydney.
This year they are mixing things up and have planned a cocktail evening full of great food, fabulous entertainment and dancing! Last chance to book your ticket.
- We would like to remind everyone in Sydney that Level 1 water restrictions are now enforceable and penalties apply. Fines of $220 will apply to individuals and $550 for businesses who don’t follow the restrictions. There was a three month grace period from 1 June 2019 to 1 September 2019.
This grace period has now ended so make sure you have your exemption certificate displayed when you are hosing down or pressure washing hard surfaces. To find out more about Sydney’s Level 1 water restrictions and how to apply for an exemption please click here.
Most of parts of NSW have water restrictions in place. If you need assistance to find out if you are in a restricted water usage area please contact the BSCAA NSW office on 02 9431 8674 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queensland – email@example.com
- Later this month BSCAA Queensland will provide access to members to a formal Client Contract, Credit Application form and Job Specification. These documents will be of assistance to new entrants to the industry, who may be lacking legally based materials for engaging new clients and protecting their interests.
- BSCAA Queensland has been designing a pricing template tool to assist members with job quoting. This tool assists members in identifying statutory on-costs, and what hourly rates should be charged to meet minimum employment obligations. The pricing template tool is due for release later this month.
- After a recent membership drive, Queensland is ongoing with activity to increase membership, with each board member making contact with various leads. This connection is also an excellent opportunity to hear from the industry as to how BSCAA can further assist members to succeed in business.
- The Queensland Excellence Awards are fast approaching. We hope to exceed last years nominations numbers and anticipate 170 attendees at the event. Tickets are still available so don’t wait until the last minute to book yours.
Western Australia – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The WA Cleaning Council Excellence Awards are being held Friday 15 November. Please contact Cameron Palassis for more information.
South Australia – email@example.com
- Labour Hire Licencing is now in place, and if you require one you should have your application in. Further information is available at https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/business-and-trade/licensing/labour-hire-licence. There is a Repeal Bill in front of Senate at the moment, but this has not progressed, and as such penalties apply.
- To tender for Government contracts in South Australia visit the ‘SA Tender and Contracts’ website and register: https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/welcome
Tasmania – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Tasmanian Board is continuing to meet with the Fair Work Ombudsman and Government departments to stamp out sham contracting occurring in Tasmania.
- Tasmanian Government Tenders – Browse Tenders or Register for eTendering here!
Fair Work Ombudsman
Employer Guide to Family & Domestic Violence
Millions of Australians experience family or domestic violence every year. Knowledge, awareness and planning can help you support your staff, meet your obligations and protect your workplace.
Click here to find out more.
Need Christmas casuals?
There’s already too much to think about in the lead up to the holiday season. If you take on extra staff, click here for the FWO Hiring Guide to take the hassle out of the Christmas causal hiring rush.
Safe Work Australia
National Safe Work Month 2019 – Be a Safety Champion
This year’s theme demonstrates that anyone, both employers and workers from any occupation or industry can be a champion for work health and safety.
For more information and to get your campaign kit, click here.
In the news
Stadiums’ cleaning contractors audited
The Fair Work Ombudsman conducted surprise audits last week at AAMI Park in Melbourne, ANZ Stadium in Sydney and GIO Stadium in Canberra to analyse the cleaning arrangements of these stadiums as part of a sham contracting investigation.
To read more, click here.
FWO audits cleaning operations at Optus Stadium
The Fair Work Ombudsman conducted a surprise audit of the cleaning arrangements at Perth’s Optus Stadium on Sunday following the WAFL Grand Final between Subiaco and South Fremantle.
To read more, click here.
AustralianSuper’s Deputy Chief Executive and Chief Investment Officer Mark Delaney gives an update on the Fund’s performance.
Mark talks about what’s been driving AustralianSuper’s strong long-term performance over the last 10 years, market and economic uncertainty and what the future looks like.
Click here to read more.
AustralianSuper is the preferred Superannuation fund for the Building Service Industry. To find out when the next Business Briefing is taking place please click here!
Do you need help with comparing super funds, meeting superannuation obligations and running education seminars? Or would you like to join AustralianSuper’s free clearinghouse?
Please call 1300 300 273 or contact your state representative directly –
National/VIC/NSW/TAS: Steve Collins, email@example.com
QLD: John Simpson, firstname.lastname@example.org
SA/NT: Gary Bridle, email@example.com
WA: Jo Jones, JJones@australiansuper.com
AustralianSuper has been partnered with BSCAA for over 13 years and support multiple cleaning and property management businesses and their staff.
The 2019 Cleaning and Security Service Award 2010 Pay Guides can be found here:
Cleaning Services Award 2010 [MA000022] Pay Guide
Security Services Industry Award 2010 [MA000016] Pay Guide