BSCAA National Newsletter – September 2018
Representatives from BSCAA National, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, and Tasmania recently attended the cleaning expo in Sydney. Congratulations to BSCAA NSW and all of our Business Partners who attended on excellent displays at the show. It was a great chance to catch up with Members and industry suppliers alike and was enjoyed by all.
On Tuesday 4 September a representative from BSCAA National appeared before the Education and Employment References Committee in Victoria to give evidence in relation to the Inquiry into the exploitation of general and specialist cleaners working in retail chains for contracting or subcontracting cleaning companies. To view copies of hearings transcripts please click here.
The Australian Business Number (ABN) is a key business identifier used by business, government and the community. However, the Black Economy Taskforce found that the ABN system is also used by black economy operators to provide a false sense of legitimacy to their business.
The Australian Government is looking at the best way to strengthen and modernise the ABN system. BSCAA National is in the process of preparing a submission on behalf of BSCAA Members on the ABN reform. All BSCCA Members were sent a survey on the submission to ensure the views of members were accurately reflected.
Black Economy Taskforce: extension of the taxable payments reporting system extension to contractors in the cleaning industry
On 9 May 2017 the Government announced that from 1 July 2018 businesses that supply cleaning services will need to report payments made to contractors if the payments are for cleaning services.
The ATO will not require Taxable payments annual reports (TPAR) to be lodged during the period up until the proposed law change is passed by Parliament. Taxpayers would be expected to have kept sufficient business records to enable a TPAR to be prepared and lodged as soon as is reasonably practicable after the law is enacted.
After the new law is enacted, taxpayers will need to review their payments made to contractors from 1 July 2018 and complete and lodge a Taxable payments annual report for the 2018–19 income year;
- those taxpayers who recorded their payments and lodged their annual report in accordance with the changes do not need to do anything more
- those taxpayers who did not record their payments to contractors will need to review their records and compile a summary of all payments made after 1 July 2018 and the required details for each payment.
These payments must be reported to the ATO each year using the Taxable payments annual report. Members will be advised when the change is passed by parliament.
- Membership – BSCAA Victoria would like to welcome our new members to the Association. If you’re new or just would like more information on becoming involved, please contact the VIC secretariat. We hope you will join us at our next special event with the opportunity to connect your local BSCAA members!
- Events – Announcing our next event will be held on Friday 23rd November…. Come along to magical Docklands as the night comes alive! Enjoy this evening members event! Bring your partner out and enjoy a socialising and networking night together. Save the date in your calendar… keep tuned as early bird tickets go on sale…For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
BSCAA New South Wales
- BSCAA NSW had a stand at the ISSA Cleaning and Hygiene Expo in Sydney which provided a great opportunity to catch up with members and meet new companies in the industry
- NSW President Debbie Delimitros was lucky enough to be a judge of this years INCLEAN Innovation Awards See the full article here
- The NSW Excellence Awards are scheduled for October and will be held in Sydney.
- Qld Information Seminar – three speakers who will discuss the Labour Hire Licencing Scheme, Taxable Payments Reporting System extension to cleaners (ATO) and portable long service leave for cleaners (QLeave) – 20 Sep 2018 9:15 am : Corina Leagues Club, 1390 Creek Rd, Carina QLD 4152 – Register here.
- The Qld AustralianSuper Excellence Awards – Friday 16th November at Victoria Park in Brisbane, MC – Richard Champion, Live band – The Wild Card Trio. Click here to book your tickets
- The QLeave Levy has been reduced from 1% to 0.75% effective 1 July 2018
BSCAA South Australia
- Representatives of South Australian BSCAA members, Academy Services and Frontline Support, traveled to Sydney in August for the ISSA Cleaning & Hygiene Expo, and also the co-located Australasian Waste & Recycling Expo. Both companies understand the need to keep abreast of the latest developments in the industry, and agreed that the displays by many major suppliers, including BSCAA business partners ABCO, Agar Cleaning Systems, Hako and Karcher, the supporting Workshops, and the Network event at the end of each day were all highly beneficial.
BSCAA Western Australia
Currently working on two projects with the Department of Finance:
- BSCAA WA are currently organising a member event in conjunction with the ATO on the Taxable Payments Reporting Scheme extension to Cleaners. Details to be released soon.
- The organisation of BSCAA WA’s Christmas function is also underway with more information coming out soon.
- The Excellence Awards are held every two years in WA. The next event is scheduled for 2019.
The Tasmania Excellence Awards are proposed for Friday 16th November and will be held in Launceston. Details to follow.